To Run or not to Run... that is the question
I can't tell you how many women I've met over the years who say "I'm just not a runner." And I will admit I have actually met a few. Like maybe two or three who truly struggled and just never got to the point where they loved it. But I have found in my running career that most women are indeed runners and end up truly loving it.
The beauty of running is you can just walk right out your door and go. All you need is some workout clothes, a decent pair of running shoes and the slightest desire to run. Oh and some patience with yourself. A common mistake many beginners make is that they go out on day one and try to run non-stop for a mile or two and they hate it. Well no wonder. If you are out of shape or new to running you're got to take is slow and steady. I have found that the C25K app by Zen Labs is an excellent training tool for the beginner. (C25K literally means "couch to 5k"). The app always starts with a 5 minute brisk walk to warm up then it takes you through intervals of running and walking and finishes with a 5 minute cool down walk. It is an 8 week program and you go from 30 minutes (of which 10 is warm up and cool down) to max 40 minutes in your last week. The walking intervals decrease in time and the running intervals increase in time each week. So you ease your way in. And if you follow this app you will be able to run a 5k in 8 weeks. I know this because I've had several members and friends do it and they all ran their first 5ks without stopping and yes, they actually enjoyed it!
So here's my suggestion if you have even the slightest desire to start running:
1. Download the C25K app by Zen Labs.
2. Get a girlfriend to commit to running a 5k with you (it's always more fun to do it with a friend and it keeps you accountable).
3. Join the Sole Sisters Running Club (it's free) on Facebook and come run with us!
4. Make a goal to run a 5k (which is 3.1 miles and totally doable). I know you can do it!
5. Register for a local 5k...preferably a flatter one. Tis the 5k season...lots to choose from in April and May.
6. Follow the C25K app and train for 8 weeks or more.
7. Run your 5K!!!
8. Bask in the glory of doing something you may have thought was impossible and brag to all your friends and family! And I bet you once you do it, you will recruit a friend of family member to join you for the next one.